What Happened To The Double Parking Exception For Commercial Vehicles In New York City?
In the past, double parking tickets were EASY. Just Double park, make the delivery, and hurry on your way. If you received a parking ticket for double parking, you could show the judge the delivery receipt, and usually have the ticket dismissed. Unfortunately, times have changed.
In an effort to reduce congestion in New York City, double parking rules were changed.
The law for Double Parking can be found in the NYC Department of Transportation, 4-08(f)(1)
20 Minute Threshold:
- Recently the law was amended to restrict double parking a commercial vehicle for the purpose of making a delivery or unloading tools/materials to 20 minutes.
- By limiting the amount of time you could park the truck or van, the City effectively made beating the tickets much harder.
- Now, only some judges are willing to believe the commercial activity was timely and expedient (20 minutes or less).
- Midtown Rules prohibiting double parking of commercial vehicles were also changed.
- The Midtown geographic area in Manhattan now encompasses 14th to 60th Streets, 1st to 12th Avenue. The rules are in effect Monday-Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00p.m.
- If you have received a Midtown double parking ticket, claiming a timely delivery is not helpful.
- As parking tickets are harder to beat these days, it is more important than ever to contest all parking tickets issued to your commercial fleet.
- Professional legal representation can spot the errors in the tickets and help save you money. We have experience and a track-record of success in contesting these types of tickets.
Our law firm is flexible and competitive with attorney fees to make sure your company is positioned to save as much money as possible.
Call us today at 212-634-2843 for a free consultation, to discuss your commercial vehicle fleet representation.
No company is too big or too small – call today to get started.